Like any good design, packaging tells a story. It’s a sensory experience with a direct link to your brand, designed to take consumers on a journey of discovery by appealing to the intrinsic human desire for exploration. With most packaging partners only focusing on visual design, it’s important to look for a partner that understands the importance of invoking strong emotion by appealing to other senses as well. Good packaging should create an experience rooted in sensation that allows the product to interact with the consumer by telling a story. It should spark questions such as: What is it for? How should it be used? Who should use it? and most importantly, Should I buy it?
Experienced packaging designers know that every detail is crucial to further immerse customers in your product’s world, which in turn will encourage them to form a lasting relationship with your brand. It’s only when you see the bright colors and elegant design of an item calling you from across the store, forcing you to walk over and pick it up, feeling the delicate velvety texture of its box brush your skin, and hearing the gentle crinkle of its tissue lining and low-pitched soft swooshing of its lid, that it becomes clear what visual, physical, and audible branding can do.
A great packaging vendor will know that creating this kind of consumer experience requires the knowledge and use of state-of-the-art machinery, quality materials, intricate software, elite engineering, and innovative methodology. Now, you will too! Here are a few things to consider when choosing a packaging partner:
- The most important thing to look for when choosing a packaging vendor is their reputation. It’s important that they are reputable in the industry and manufacture quality products for companies that you know of in the marketplace. If they produce for recognizable brands, you will know that their facilities have been visited and audited by major retailers across the globe. PPD&G has been creating packaging designs and displays for some of the world’s most well-known luxury brands, including Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Gucci, Creed, Tiffany, Christian Louboutin, Thierry Mugler, and more. Many of these designs are featured on www.ppdandg.com.
- Experienced Graphic & Structural Design
- Be sure your packaging partner is well-versed in paper substrates, structures, and styles. They should be able to facilitate ideal graphics integration and printing processes as well as determine what materials and methodology to use to ensure the outcome best represents your vision for your brand. PPD&G features a team of in-house graphic designers & engineers to assist you in all phases of ideation, engineering, design, and rendering. Our extensive in-house manufacturing capabilities allow us to create structural prototypes, animations, 3D renderings, and ﬁnal artwork approvals to ensure your vision is brought to life.
- Quality Materials
- Comparing and contrasting what materials your packaging vendor is familiar with is another crucial aspect to consider. For example, do you want to communicate that your brand is sustainable but don’t have the budget for high end eco-friendly packaging? An experienced packaging partner will likely advise that opting for Kraft paperboard is cost-effective, durable, and 100% eco-friendly while offering high-quality printing and finishing capabilities. With over 25 years of experience, the professionals at PPD&G will guide you through picking the right material for your products based on your branding, product specifications, and budget, as well as advise you on any other components you may need based on your product needs. This includes but is not limited to protective inserts, structural design features, and material changes.
- Practical Details
- Many packaging vendors can put a lot of time and money into designing an incredible-looking package. However, if it doesn’t stand up to the rigors of distribution and stocking, then it does not serve its intended purpose. At PPD&G we equally prioritize structural integrity, practicality, and visual, physical, and audible branding to ensure that the finished product meets your every expectation and performs well in the consumer marketplace.
- Efficiency Assistance
- It is important to choose a packaging partner with a skilled project management team to help facilitate your project and reduce lead times. The professionals at PPD&G will research, construct, and deliver innovative solutions while reducing time spent, optimizing materials costs, and minimizing the risk of damages.
- Your packaging supply company should work with your budget and assist in optimizing costs whenever possible. PPD&G is committed to finding ways to optimize material costs, design fees, obsolescence, waste, and product handling costs while delivering the ideal packaging solution for your needs.